Monday, December 1, 2008

Final Week

This internship was something that was equally rewarding and fun for me this semester. I know that this is something that I will not be pursuing for my future, but I’m definitely glad I did it. I think it is important to show employers that I can be flexible and most importantly, patient. I think the greatest quality that I achieved through my internship was patience. My mentor was so patient and calm with her clients even when they weren’t. The client is the most important part of the equation. While the speech pathologist is there to make the parents and clients happy, her ultimate goal is to increase the productivity of the child’s speech.
This was a truly rewarding experience for me. I am moving to Indiana in January so I have been saying goodbye to the clients and the parents, which makes me really sad. I would really need to thank my mentor for exhibiting skills that I would never catch on to without spending so much time with her. I think it was really awesome for the parents to be cool with me spending time with their children and joining in on activities that they usually only spend with the speech pathologist. I’m glad they had faith in me not messing up the session for their child and trusting the speech pathologist that initially suggested allowing me to sit in on these sessions. These kids were so great and funny. It is very sad to be leaving, but I have faith that they were will continue to achieve the milestones that the speech pathologist has set for them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck in Indiana. It sounds like you had a wonderful applied study experience that helped you to grow and learn.